The History of St Nicolas Anglican Church
In a nutshell -
In 1887 St. Nicolas Anglican Church, Coogee was consecrated.
In 1902 the Anglican Parish of Coogee was formed.
In 1905 the church building was almost completed destroyed by fire.
In 1906 the church was reopened and the current Fincham organ was purchased from Newcastle Cathedral.
In 1907 the parish built the existing rectory for their minister.
Between 1917 and 1944, St. Nicolas Coogee was instrumental in establishing other surrounding churches at Maroubra, Clovelly, Matraville, Malabar and South Coogee.
In 1982 the Fincham organ was extensively refurbished.
In 1987 our Centenary was celebrated. If you would like more details then “The Centenary History of St. Nicolas’ Anglican Church Coogee, 1887/1987″ is available for $15.
In 1998 the current minister commenced.
In 2003 there was a major project launched to put the buildings back into good shape.
In 2003 St. Nic’s Playroom commenced with 12 children, one day per week. In 2010 we operate twice each week with up to 80 children participating.
In 2005 a second full-time ministry position was created to prosper our growing children’s ministries.
In 2008 following some years of growing ministries and renewal, St. Nicolas’ earned back it’s full ‘Parish’ status.